Friday, July 24, 2009

Lunch in New London

One of the hardest things about visiting this part of Connecticut is finding restaurants to eat in that are vegan friendly, close to my in laws and still serve food that everyone will eat. Today I found a wonderful cafe in New London, CT called Mangetout Organic Cafe . Although it is not 100% veggie, this is the most vegan-friendly restaurant I have found near their house. Sadly by the time I found it I had already eaten lunch, but we still had room for coffee and cake!



The menu changes daily but if today's menu was any indication they regularly have 2-3 vegan choices.

Today's Menu:

Lunch Items
(11:00am to 4:00 pm)
Soup
($6.25)
(to go prices: bowl: $7.00; cup:$3.50)
Roasted Vegetable Soup (vegan, gluten free)

Entrees
($7.25)
Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla
New York Goodwich (vegan)
Quinoa & Mango Salad Wrap (vegan)

Desserts
($4.50 per serving)
Vanilla Bean-Coconut Cupcake with Vanilla-Bean Coconut Buttercream
Hummingbird Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ginger Shortcakes with Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce & Sweet Greek Yogurt
Italian Ricotta Cake with Raspberry Sauce
Rhubarb Pie
Red Plum Tarte Tatin
Monkey Love Chocolate Tofu Pudding (vegan; gluten free)
Chocolate Cupcake with Peppermint Frosting (vegan)



Cookies
($2.00 each)
Alpha-Omega Oatmeal (wheat free) ; Chocolate Caramel Chews;
Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisp Bars (gluten-free, vegan); Kudos


My husband had one of the regular non-vegan cookies and loved it. I had the Vegan Choc Peanut Butter Crisp Bar and it was everything that is good and perfect. It was sweet, gooey, creamy and rich with little crunchy bits of goodness worked in between. I nearly fell over in pure chocolate induced ecstasy. The coffee was equally excellent and the server even made a new pot just for us. It was all I could do to keep from buying one of the Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with peppermint frosting on the spot! Since we were only having desserts, I can only tell you that the other food around me looked incredibly delicious as well.

The atmosphere was bright and sunny. The menu was written on chalk boards hanging around the restaurant. Each table had a white cloth and and there was brightly colored mismatched napkins on each table. I really look forward to eating here again soon.





After lunch we stopped by a small health food co-op called Fiddleheads. This growing co-op had a wide range of foods, including tons of organic veggies, dry goods and soy products. I even found vegan fluff!!




No comments:

Post a Comment