Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Everyone's favorite....Curry Squash Soup

I LOVE pumpkin and its cousins, the other winter squashes. In fact, I make all of my young students sing this silly little song about "Mr. Pumpkin" every year:

"Mr. Pumpkin, Mr. Pumpkin
Round and Fat, Round and Fat,
Harvest time is coming, Harvest time is coming
Yum, yum, yum! Yum, yum, yum!"


Amid the giggles, we discuss our favorite pumpkin (and by extension... squash) based foods. While they all say pie and perhaps bread, I amaze them all with things like soup, purees, smoothies, pancakes, french toast etc... Somehow my students seem to think of pumpkin only as a sweet food. Not me, I love how versatile this vegetable is!

So it is with great joy that I made my first squash soup of the year! This one is not for the faint hearted. To help my congestion due to fall allergies, I made it heavily spiced. So... feel free to go easy on the spices. Its still absolutely delicious!
Curry Squash Soup
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sake or white wine
1/2 onion, chopped
small piece of ginger, chopped
1 large carrot chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 TBS curry powder
3 cups water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
4 cups cooked squash
1 cup almond milk

Method:
  1. In the wine, saute the vegetables.
  2. Stir in the curry powder, then add water and bouillon.
  3. Bring to a boil.
  4. As soon as bouillon is dissolved, add squash.
  5. Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
  6. Puree soup with an immersion blender.
  7. Stir in almond milk and gently reheat.
This soup is good topped with toasted squash seeds, tiny crackers or croutons.


No comments:

Post a Comment