Sunday, November 15, 2009

Indian Feast!



My husband and I regularly go out for Indian food but it is so much more fun (and so much cheaper!) to eat at home... so tonight I tried my hand at a few new dishes: Palak Tofu, Dal and a cumin scented salad. The salad and the Dal were great, the Palak tofu needs some tweaking before I share it with the world.


The Cumin Scented Salad was inspired by the lovely pile of cucumbers and tomatoes that I always see beside the buffets at Indian restaurants. Because my DH doesn't care for tomatoes though, we altered it slightly to include peppers instead. Be sure to set out some vinegar for anyone who wants it. (My husband's suggestion!)

Cumin Scented Salad
Ingredients:

3 small Persian cucumbers (or one English Cucumber)
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
1/2 small onion
2 TBS olive oil
3-4 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

  1. Cut all veggies and place in bowl
  2. Toss lightly with oil and spices.
  3. Enjoy!

Dal

Ingredient:

3 cups vegetable broth or water
1 cup dried red lentils

Pam Spray OR small amount vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup canned tomatoes
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste


Method:


  1. Bring broth to a boil in a three quart sauce pot and add lentils. Cook to desired done-ness.
  2. In a separate pan, saute the onions until translucent.
  3. Add garlic and spices stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
  4. Add tomatoes and heat though before adding to lentils.
  5. Cool mixture and then puree about 1/3-1/2 of the mixture in batches before adding back to pot.
  6. Reheat and serve with rice or bread.

If I ever get that Palak Tofu just right I will be sure to share it with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment