Sunday, September 6, 2009

Everything but the kitchen sink....



Have you ever wanted something sweet... I mean really CRAVED something sweet? Craved sweetness in a way that a banana or a bowl of cereal can't solve? That was my problem today. So I decided to make muffins, which are essentially cake without the added fuss of frosting. Except I couldn't seem to make up my mind, vanilla-coconut muffins, blueberry muffins, banana muffins.... why not all three?

As a result I ended up with these oddly pale little muffins that actually sated my sweet tooth. I still have no idea what I was thinking when I look at the ingredient list...

Everything but the kitchen sink muffins
(if you have a regular muffin tin this should make about 24 muffins)

Ingredients:
3 TBS Earth Balance, or other vegan "butter"
3 TBS vegan non-hydrogenated shortening
2/3 cup sugar
1 medium banana
5 TBS ground flax seed + 8 TBS cold water
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 1/2 cup coconut milk (not the canned kind, the kind in a carton such as "So Delicious" brand)
1 cup blueberries

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Cream butter, shortening and sugar.
  • Add banana and combine until well mashed.
  • In a blender combine flax and water, then add to butter mixture.
  • Add vanilla.
  • In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  • Gradually add flour mixture alternating with the milk until everything is combined.
  • Stir in blueberries by hand.
  • Bake in muffin tins 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment