Tuesday, August 4, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things....

We spent the day dragging furniture around and cleaning, so we had takeout for dinner. Asian takeout...surprise surprise... but still not bloggable. So I thought I would review a few of my favorite vegan products. These are the ones that I go out of my way to find and use. So here's the lineup:



Road's End Organics Mac and Chreese is my personal favorite version of vegan junk food. I realize that it is merely pasta with a nutritional yeast sauce, but sometimes when all I want is childlike junk food goodness, this is what I turn to. It is slightly salty and garlicky and the whole wheat noodles convince me that it isn't too bad for me. Plus I can always stir in some steamed broccoli or peas.






If I am feeling like going all out on the childhood junk food binge I pair the Mac and Chreese with these: Trader Joe's Soy Nuggets. They are easy to heat using a microwave with a crispy crust and chewy inside. Although they probably taste nothing like chicken, I really don't care as I sit happily munching away. With each ketchupy dip I promise myself I'll eat a salad tomorrow.










Speaking of that salad, although I usually put homemade vinaigrette's on my salad's I do have two favorite store bought dressings: Annie's Naturals Goddess Dressing and Caribbean Banana Ranch Dressing. Both of them are little high in calories and fat compared to my typical homemade vinaigrette BUT they are both so creamy and delicious. I eat them on salads, pizza crusts, homemade french fries and even once on some toasted pita. They are a delicious splurge!




















When I am making soups and do not have homemade vegetable broth or long for something with a little more flavor I like to use Edward and Son's Not chick'n bouillon cubes. Their flavor is excellent and they dissolve nicely. Unlike other cubes I have tried they are not overwhelmingly salty or yeasty.


If its sweets I am craving, and I don't feel like baking I have two options. I can grab an Alternative Baking Company cookie, which will always hit the spot. These cookies are LARGE, nearly the size of four homemade cookies, and delicious. Somehow they are always moist and they have wonderful flavor combinations such as oatmeal raisin, cranberry orange, and pumpkin spice. The other option I have is to walk to one of the local cafes that sells baked goods from our own: Brunie's Bakery. Their stuff is so good, that last year we had vegan birthday cake from them and no one even knew. They sell brownies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes you name it and it is all uniformly good! My personal favorite... are the doughnuts!















So that is just a few of my favorite things... and it should have been much more entertaining to read about than my take out (Monk's Temple Delight Vegetarian Mock Mu Shu Chicken).

No comments:

Post a Comment